Well, hello! I'm Angie. I'm a wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend and a pastor's wife (don't hold it against me.) I try my best to follow Jesus. I've been lovingly told I'm a pistol, and sometimes I go off unexpectedly. I try to keep that under control, friends, I do. But it's just so hard sometimes.
I am a wife to Donn (who I'll call The Pastor here, because it drives him a little bit crazy and it makes me giggle), a mom to two grown boys, and a mother-in-law to the greatest girl ever (seriously, I would have picked her myself- but thank goodness my son was smart enough to grab her up.) I have a big, fat, golden retriever who has never retrieved one thing. She's very naughty, and I love her even though her breath always smells like she just ate an entire school of fish.
I'm a pastor's wife, which, after many years now, I still find hilarious. That God of mine has a sense of humor. Sometimes I get mad at him for putting me in this position. But even then I still figure that He knows best, so I try to give Him the benefit of a doubt, especially when it gets rough. Which it does. But back to me being a pistol...
Since I was a child, I have always had the capability to shock my Southern Belle Mississippi-Born mother. Either with my mouth or my tattoo or any other number of things. One day when she's gone, I will really miss her saying "Angie!" in her very loud whisper that is reserved for her most horrified-sounding reactions. Usually the rest of the "Angie!" is followed by "that's not something a proper pastor's wife would say!" or some other variation on that theme.
I don't think I shock The Pastor anymore- but he does like it that I'm spunky and that the mama-bear is still alive and well in me. She exists to care for my friends and family, even though my kids are grown and (almost) gone. Seriously, don't poke her. Anyway, one day several years ago, The Pastor announced that he'd found the perfect song for US. Up until this point, our song was the soul-stirring "Almost Paradise" from the Academy Award-winning movie Footloose (circa 1984, folks. Remember Mike Reno from Loverboy in those red leather pants?) Needless to say, I was excited for an upgrade.
He proceeded to play Pistol by Dustin Kensrue and just like the Grinch, my heart grew three sizes that day. Here are the lyrics:
I Love how you curse when I wake you up
Sweetly demand that I fill your cup
With the smile of your cool gunpowder glare
Honey, you lay me bare
You're the girl of my dreams
And a pistol it seems, but you shoot me straight and true
Time to lay down my bets
Oh, I put all my money on you
When I'm in the dark, girl, you bring me light
It seems like you're almost always right
So keep boxing my ears when I sew them shut
Baby, you sure are tough
You're the girl of my dreams
And a pistol it seems, but you shoot me straight and true
Time to lay down my fears
Honey, I feel so safe around you
If the tiller man taught me anything
It's that a hard headed woman is what I need
To help me to always do my best
Baby, my life is blessed
You're the girl of my dreams
Darling, please wear this ring
You're an angel through and through
Time to lay down my life
Honey, I'd do it gladly for you
Time to lay down my life
Honey, I'd do it gladly for you
Since that's now our song and The Pastor's official ringtone for me, and since certainly my mother would agree, I thought that The Pistol Speaks would be a fitting name for my little corner of the world wide web. Hope you agree.
Bye now!

Such a great song! So you!!
ReplyDelete-Wajee